Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cover Track with the Modern Mod & JCM Mod,

When I did the first mod it to the Wampler Modern Distortion Tone Machine I wanted to record a cover song to see how it would perform in a musical situation. At the time I was giving guitar lessons to a friend of mine teaching him how to play Metallica’s ‘Enter Sandman’. I decided to record the rhythm guitar parts with my newly modded DS1, however I had the idea of using a different mod for the lead guitar parts of the song. After I recorded the rhythm guitar a week or so later I started the Marshall JCM mod, once I had change the DS1 to JCM spec’s I finished learning the lead guitar parts of enter sandman and started recording.


With each guitar part the only extra effects I used was a bit of reverb & a standard crybaby CGB-95 wah pedal for the solos. Therefore, we have; Rhythm Guitar = Modern Mod & Lead Guitar = Marshall JCM mod.


Below is a video of the recording, in a band situation each guitar part should be more noticeable tone wise, however, with the original track playing in the background there really isn’t a dramatic difference at all, having the original tracks guitars, drum, bass & vocals in the mix, hearing the subtle differences between the mods isn’t that apparent. However, you can still hear a difference if you listen closely.



Ow.. Please excuse my crappy playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment